My VFW WebCOM

I was at National this year in San Antonio. From my understanding there was a resolution to form a comittee to look into combing the auxiliaries. Many thought it was for imediate action to make one aux; but from most of my conversations it seems to have just been a committee to be formed and report back about 2015; I think.

I guess it was brought up as a question; Has anyone asked the Men's Aux thier thoughts on this merger?  

I thought I'd ask here and see what my friends in other departments think about the idea. What are your thoughts and concerns about making one Auxiliary for the VFW consisting of both sexes.

Views: 1327

Replies to This Discussion

It is one of the most ignorant ideas I have heard.  It will almost immediately kill the "Ladies Auxiliary" as an effective unit.  But no doubt if the motions are made year after year after year eventually it will get passed.  I can see no benefit from it and I sure would like to hear from someone that is for it to explain how it would help anything.  A National Mens Auxiliary need established pronto.

Cheerily

Joe

I would advise strongly against this.  It will eventually kill both Auxiliaries.  There would be an initial power struggle to determine the future of the one unit - as far as who would be officers, what programs to support, what by-laws to adapt.  I can see general chaos at the onset of such a merger.  

Also I am pretty sure the Ladies would never go for this - since they are currently a National organization.  The simple solution is get the MA up to speed, with competent members and begin a National organization.  Setting specific rules/guidelines for us to thrive.  The MA can be a very good asset to the VFW if allowed to grow.  

Bottom line is the Men's Auxiliary needs all the support National, Department, District, and Posts can give them...it is only then that this organization will come to speed and become the valuable addition we hope to be.

I have asked this question several different places and do not get replies.  Does anyone know of a Post Men's Auxiliary that the Post does not have a bar or canteen?  It seems to me that most of the time the MAs are attached to posts with canteens so the canteen has more potential customers and those without canteens do not see the need for the MA.  Any thoughts on this?

Cheerily'

Joe

In all fairness the Regular VFW membership consists of both men and woman.  With that said I would say still keeps Auxiliaries seprate and divide roles.  Ladies handle scholarship (VOD, Patriots Pen) and they do a great job, allow them to continue to do that work. There is probably some other sort of Community outreach Men can do on a national lever. At the national level it may sound great to have a General Aux, typically the same (or more) dues money coming in and less admin work and costs.  At the Post Level a General Auxiliary is a recipe for disaster. Keep the Brotherhood and Sisterhood of Mens and Ladies Aux.
Not that I know of, all the Post's around here have a canteen, we are the only in the district with an MA.  If a post without a canteen wants a MA and can find the required 25 elgible men needed to apply for a MA charter then why not have one. The purpose of the MA is to help out around the post.  At our Post our MA takes care of the building maintenance, Holiday Parties, Post Functions, most of the phyiscal work as many of our Post members are getting up there in age and have been members for 50+ years.  Our Post member's handle the other VFW inititive's, funerals, community activities, flag placement on Memorial Day, Holiday Services and any tasks that can not be done by the Aux.  Post Officers carry out their normal duties.  Because we have a Canteen our QM handles the bar management along the paying the bills of the post and he spends a lot of time doing it as he is technically running a business.  From what I am told the Idea of a Men's Auxiliary was met with much opposition by the members our of post.  I have heard this is the case in many places and was the case at the National and Dept levels but the feelings are changing now.  Our Post Commander regards the Men's Aux as one of the Post's most valuable assets.

Phil Martino said:
In all fairness the Regular VFW membership consists of both men and woman.  With that said I would say still keeps Auxiliaries seprate and divide roles.  Ladies handle scholarship (VOD, Patriots Pen) and they do a great job, allow them to continue to do that work. There is probably some other sort of Community outreach Men can do on a national lever. At the national level it may sound great to have a General Aux, typically the same (or more) dues money coming in and less admin work and costs.  At the Post Level a General Auxiliary is a recipe for disaster. Keep the Brotherhood and Sisterhood of Mens and Ladies Aux.

Eligibility requirements for the regular VFW membership do not state men and women are eligible it is open to a veteran who is a US citizen and served in the right places. Females were not always welcomed into the fold. The Auxiliary requirements are gender specific.

If I were a member of a post that thought I was just thier handyman I'd resign and go to the Amer Legion where I am eligible for both AL and SAL.

At Nat'l Convention I was told they were looking at this joining because they are afraid the Ladies Aux will die out as thier members are getting older.

If what I see is the norm; just watch your post, district and dept and even Nat'l conventions and functions. Most attendees are older no matter what organization they belong to..

Retention is the main issue, many factors contribute to how much involvement one can contribute. I did not get involved heavily till my children were grown. I take time off from work to attend many of the conventions using my vacation time. Not many of the vets can afford to do this if they are not retired or getting paid to do it. Keep them interested and later they will step up as others have the past 100+ years

Unconditionally opposed.  Our Men's Auxiliary unit was formed in 2002, chartered in 2003 and has legitimately become a part of our post family.  Power plays on a national basis will almost certainly lead to disintegration of the Men's Auxiliary as most - I believe - will not agree to consolidation.  Our chapter voted unanimously to disagree with any attempt to subsume our group into a (larger) group over which we will have little if any control.  Negaunee, MI chapter has approx. 80 members, and doubt our post will see benefit to our leaving.

Have noticed no comments on this site except mine this past May.  Was informed that at last MI state convention the topic of merger (read "takeover of Men's Aux. by Women) was defeated - but just barely.  Expect further push to do so in next term.  Doesn't look good, guys.  Afraid we might either be gobbled up or tossed out in the cold.  Our local decision is if it happens, we will turn in our charter and move somewhere else.  Time will tell how our Departments will act on this issue, and see if we're to be more than a poor relation.  Keep after your local posts.  The danger is real.     - T. Sharland, Ishpeming, MI

I agree. I am not impressed by the idea of being allowed to join the Ladies Aux and see the move as an attempt to keep the  ladies going and to make it easier for the VFW to merge the two. Still amazed at the lack of knowledge from VFW members, even state and district officers, in anything concerning the MA. Passed a resolution for a Life Membership at one of our meetings and fwd'd it to Post where it passed and then was tabled at Dept convention. I was however reminded how Ak approved the MA by a very narrow margin and how much of a Voice the Aux would have as one unit even as we are ignored at present

Every one that if this passes it will be the end of the men's aux. My Aux unit is going to write a letter to the Ladies Aux magazine in responce to their article this past month. I will post it once it is done. We all know we would not exist it wasn't for the Post. So let us keep doing our Job and help our Posts.

RSS

Search VFW WebCOM

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2017   Created by Policlicks   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Content found on this site, unless otherwise noted, is provided for informational and discussion purposes only and does not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, its Departments, Districts or Posts.